Size: 4*10 feet
Price: INR 3150/-
Delivery time: Within 15 days from the order placed.
- Know about SADABAHAR collection:
With the evergreen collection - ‘Sadabahar’, we at Ghongadi.com are reviving our rarest gems in the form of ‘Sumbran’ and ‘Malhar’. The precious art of making Ghongadi- a traditional woolen blanket of Maharashtra on the pit loom is one of the oldest traditions of our soil. Through its rebirth in the form of SADABAHAR, we bring the cultural heritage of our shepherd community to every household of Maharashtra.
The twins- Malhar and Sumbran, each weigh about 5 kgs and are weaved with 100% pure wool. The origin of ghongadi from the Sadabahar collection can be traced back to the folklore of Malhari Martand, a deity worshipped by the Dhangar ( shepherd) community of Maharashtra. The tales narrate that he carried a Ghongadi on his shoulder wherever he went and it is believed that it weighed about 12 kg approximately. Artisans who were involved in making these heavy blankets no longer exist today.
But with extensive research on these folk tales and by communicating with the few diminishing artisans scattered throughout Maharashtra, we have made efforts to make Ghongadi which resemble them closely. Sumbran and Malhar that are now reaching every household, is a testament to our sincere efforts.
Sumbran means remembrance. The gods of rural Maharashtra primarily Khandoba, Dhuloba, and Biroba were remembered by singing rhythmic proses. These poetry forms known as ‘Ovi’ in Marathi were in reverence to the deities by remembering the sun god, the moon, the earth, the rivers, and the clouds. These ‘Ovis’ were either sung to the beats of drums and cymbals or narrated in the form of a story. During the old days, children of all age groups from the village would sit on Sumbran to listen to the ‘Ovis’. These folktales enlighten about rural life but also teach important life lessons to the next generation. To spread this message throughout, we, at Ghongadi.com present to you this exclusive collection to be preserved as a remembrance in your household.
- HOW IS SUMBRAN GHONGADI MADE?
Our artisans weave Sumbran ghongadi on traditional pit looms. Extremely fine quality wool is used in the process. The yarn is measured according to its exact length and attached to the loom. While the black yarn is attached to the center of the loom, yarns of yellow and red color are attached at the ends of the borders. It is pre-treated with tamarind paste to give it strength and durability. It takes approximately 4-5 days to weave Malhar ghongadi entirely. After the weaving process, post-treatment is done to increase its shelf life. Malhar Ghongadi made by these artisans are further verified by the quality officers and then delivered to the customers.
- THERAPEUTIC EFFECTS OF SUMBRAN GHONGADI
- Relief from backache and neck discomfort.
- Highly effective for arthritis, slip disc, spondylosis, chronic back pain, and various other spine-related problems.
- Helps to regulate blood circulation and control elevated blood pressure.
- Sleeping on ghongadi helps you to sleep sound and peacefully and helps overcome insomnia.
- Ghongadi helps regulate body temperature and keep it under control.
- Relief from body aches after waking up from sleep.
- Used as a mat for yoga and meditation
- Jagran Gondhal, Satyanarayan puja, and various other Vedic rituals are performed while sitting on the woolen blanket.
- WHY SHOULD YOU PURCHASE GHONGADI FROM US?
- Sumbran Ghongadi is entirely handmade on traditional looms.
- Extremely fine quality wool is used in the blanket making process.
- High product quality without any adulteration.
- com is the only brand in Maharashtra delivering original Ghongadi made on traditional pit looms.
- A direct connection between the artisans and its customers, a major chunk of the profit is shared by the artisans.
- Every final product is verified by our quality control officers and is delivered to the customers at their doorstep on time.
Through your purchase on Ghongadi.com, you are supporting the rural artisans and helping them in self-sustenance and economic empowerment. For this, we are highly indebted to you!
आमच्या ग्राहकांची Ghongadi.com विषयी प्रतिक्रिया:
घोंगडी च्या खरेदीतून आपण ग्रामीण कलाकारांना पाठबळ देत आहात त्याबद्दल आम्ही आपले ऋणी आहोत.
Size – 4 X 10 Ft. Traditional Pit-loom size
Ghongadi is a traditional woolen blanket made in Maharashtra, India. Blankets are made on Pit-Loom and dyed with organic and natural dyes.
This blanket has cultural significance in Maharashtra, as it is considered as a holy blanket and used in all the holy rituals and community functions.
On the other side, Ghongadi believed to help acupressure and blood flow. Nomads and shepherds in southern Maharashtra sleep on them in acute back pain and found as a great remedy for themselves.
This Ghongadi is light in weight, soft in feel, Handmade.